- RSS loading...
Bayanihan Original: Nata De Coco
The chewy, bubble gum-like flavor makes this a nice snack. Also works as an ingredient to other tasty, popular treats to offset the sweetness.
This review marks as the very first foreign product discussed here on FOODSOTROS™, namely a Philippine product. (I'm of Filipino and Spanish descent.)
My dear, sweet father was a huge fan of this and growing up, I tried understanding why we had a chunk in our pantry. When I gave it a try, I was hooked and loved the sweet taste of this. For those of you who are new, and/or looking for a perfect ingredient to include to your recipes, you're looking at a unique product.
Out of the jar, with the syrup drained, the taste is very chewy. Think of those JELL-O cubes, but instead, coconut. The taste is close to a delicious block of bubble gum. Remember that delicious feeling you get when chewing on a fresh stick of bubble gum? That's what you get from this. It's very good and very tasty. However, eating it by itself isn't quite recommended. And while I add this to JELL-O as an alternative to cherries and/or pineapple, I've provided an excellent recipe for you to try:
Nata De Coco and Cucumber Salad
2 jars of Nata De Coco, gels drained
3 medium cucumbers—peeled, seeds removed and finely diced
1 cup of mango
1 tsp [teaspoon] of regular table salt
½ tsp of black pepper
¾ tsp of cayenne pepper
Mix all until incorporated. Best served when cold.
Serves as a perfect side to main courses with meat, fish or chicken dishes.
There you have it! If you tried this recipe of ours, send us a picture and we'll post it! Or you can send us your feedback!
Even if coconut is your least favorite fruit, you'll love this amazing product from Bayanihan®. Maraming salamat, Bayanihan!
- While it can be eaten by itself, it tastes best when included with other Philippine treats such as halo-halo.
- Since there aren't any, retailers like Seafood City has the tendency to overprice this product (we, however, let that slide with a 5/5).
|Item||Nata De Coco (coconut gel in syrup)|
|Bar Code Number||7 95981 25088 8|
|Net Weight||12 OZ (340g)|
|Distributed by||Foremost Foods
Pomona, California 91768, U.S.A.
|Product Number||7743-CC / 5 SMY 15|
|Serving Size||½ cup (113g)|
|Servings Per Container||about 3|
|Calories from Fat||5|
|Total Fat||0.5g - 1%|
|Cholesterol||0mg - 0%|
|Sodium||5mg - 0%|
|Total Carbohydrate||22g - 7%|
|Dietary Fiber||0g - 0%|
|Ingredients||Coconut Gel, Water, Cane Sugar, Artificial Banana Flavor, Citric Acid, (acidulant), Sodium Metabisulfite (antioxidant).|
|Other||Product of the Philippines|
MORE FOOD REVIEWS
This policy contains information about your privacy. By posting, you are declaring that you understand this policy:
- Your name, rating, website address, town, country, state and comment will be publicly displayed if entered.
- Aside from the data entered into these form fields, other stored data about your comment will include:
- Your IP address (not displayed)
- The time/date of your submission (displayed)
- Your email address will not be shared. It is collected for only two reasons:
- Administrative purposes, should a need to contact you arise.
- To inform you of new comments, should you subscribe to receive notifications.
- A cookie may be set on your computer. This is used to remember your inputs. It will expire by itself.
This policy is subject to change at any time and without notice.
These terms and conditions contain rules about posting comments. By submitting a comment, you are declaring that you agree with these rules:
- Although the administrator will attempt to moderate comments, it is impossible for every comment to have been moderated at any given time.
- You acknowledge that all comments express the views and opinions of the original author and not those of the administrator.
- You agree not to post any material which is knowingly false, obscene, hateful, threatening, harassing or invasive of a person's privacy.
- The administrator has the right to edit, move or remove any comment for any reason and without notice.
Failure to comply with these rules may result in being banned from submitting further comments.
These terms and conditions are subject to change at any time and without notice.