- RSS loading...
"Tetris Attack" (Game Boy)
This rapid, block-destroying game will bring challenges to both seasoned and casual gamers. Includes modes like Puzzle and Story, pizzazzing the overall gaming experience with this release.
Finally, a better sequel of Tetris; No kidding. I wasn't a big fan of the style of play in Tetris 2 but this one brings more flavor and pizazz that's fun and enjoyable.
Instead of dropping blocks and trying to fit them perfectly on the board, you're presented with blocks marked with circles, hearts, diamonds, triangles and stars. Your job is to use the two-square cursor to switch and match the blocks in sets of 3 or more (you can only switch horizontally, not vertically). Do so within the CLEAR line, which indicate that it is the "finish line" so to speak, and you're on to the next round. As you progress, the levels get more difficult and the loading of the blocks rise faster and faster.
Graphics are quite good, with nicer gradients and unique textures. The music defies Game Boy music, as it is catchy and something you'd expect playing a game like this. The controls are excellent and not once have a found a single delay, especially in the heat of the game.
The fun part is this game features characters from the hit Super Nintendo game Yoshi's Island, like Lakitu, Yoshi, Froggy and yes Bowser. If you play in STAGE CLEAR mode, all characters root for you to defeat the evil Bowser. By attacking him with blocks? Not really, but the characters state you must master the art of combos and chains within the blocks. What they mean by this is arrange the blocks in a way such that when one set is eliminated, another block drops and eliminates another set, and then another drops to explode another set and so on. Sounds easy but it isn't, so think of it a little like the infamous Rubik's Cube except doing so in eliminating the blocks and not arranging them in one solid color.
Knowing all that, you MUST defeat Bowser as he is the final opponent you must face. Bowser has an HP meter and using combos and chains knocks out his HP little by little. The more combos and chains you trigger, the faster Bowser's HP gets depleted. Do so and you win the game! The game ends with credits.
Dealing with block switching can be tedious so there is a password system for you to enter and continue where you left off, or to jump at a specific stage. Problem with the game's password system is that the password is 8 characters long! How's anyone going to memorize nor have the time to jot down that kind of password?
Other modes include Time Trial, Puzzle, Endless and VS. Com all which bring all kinds of challenges you can partake in this game.
A game that features characters from Yoshi's Island along with a brand new way of eliminating blocks makes this an excellent choice for Tetris fans of all kinds. The difficulty is just enough to keep you on your toes when a tough challenge nears in, all the while you're on your way to defeating the evil Bowser.
- Block-matching fun for everyone.
- Features story mode, puzzle mode, etc.
- Pristine graphics and fun music soundtracks.
- Very challenging boss fight against Bowser.
- Lots of replay value.
- Randomized block combinations sometimes feature very little 'match-able' blocks, admitting loss to replay the level.
|Game Title||Tetris Attack|
|Description||All the draw of the classic, with a new twist!
The Tetris sensation has landed at Yoshi's Island. Kamek and Bowser await to test your dexterity with a demanding race of strategic moves in this exciting new contest. As the stack of perplexing panels rises from the bottom, think fast to counteract the merciless enemy attack dropping in from above. Rapid switches and quick response are the key to the next challenging level.
An incredible selection of competitive modes and options provide escalating action and endless fun.
• Compete in VS mode using the Game Link® cable!
• Play five sensational one-player games: Endless, Time Trial, Stage Clear, Puzzle and VS Computer!
• Password system allows you to restart your games in progress on any Tetris Attack Game Pak.
|ISBN / Bar Code number||0 45496 73051 2|
|Video Format||1.33:1 (4:3) Full screen|
|Audio Format||Mono (Stereo via Super Game Boy)|
|Rated||K-A - Kids to Adults|
|Released||October 1996 (JP), August 1996 (US), 1996 (EU)|
|Video Specification||Monochrome (Color via Super Game Boy)|
|Developed by||Nintendo / Intelligent Systems|
|Company||Nintendo / Intelligent Systems|
|Product / Item / Catalog Number||960701 / DMG P AYLE|
|Copyright||*© 1995 NINTENDO.
© 1996 NINTENDO/INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS TETRIS ATTACK™ LICENSED TO NINTENDO BY THE TETRIS COMPANY. TETRIS ATTACK INSPIRED BY ORIGINAL TETRIS.
TM AND ® ARE TRADEMARKS OF NINTENDO OF AMERICA INC.
© 1996 NINTENDO OF AMERICA INC.
|Other Formats||Super Nintendo, Nintendo Virtual Console 3DS|
ORIGINAL YOSHI MUSIC
SPECIAL THANKS TO
Super Mario Club
TETRIS ATTACK INSPIRED BY ORIGINAL TETRIS
©1996 NINTENDO /
MORE VIDEO GAMING REVIEWS
This policy contains information about your privacy. By posting, you are declaring that you understand this policy:
- Your name, rating, website address, town, country, state and comment will be publicly displayed if entered.
- Aside from the data entered into these form fields, other stored data about your comment will include:
- Your IP address (not displayed)
- The time/date of your submission (displayed)
- Your email address will not be shared. It is collected for only two reasons:
- Administrative purposes, should a need to contact you arise.
- To inform you of new comments, should you subscribe to receive notifications.
- A cookie may be set on your computer. This is used to remember your inputs. It will expire by itself.
This policy is subject to change at any time and without notice.
These terms and conditions contain rules about posting comments. By submitting a comment, you are declaring that you agree with these rules:
- Although the administrator will attempt to moderate comments, it is impossible for every comment to have been moderated at any given time.
- You acknowledge that all comments express the views and opinions of the original author and not those of the administrator.
- You agree not to post any material which is knowingly false, obscene, hateful, threatening, harassing or invasive of a person's privacy.
- The administrator has the right to edit, move or remove any comment for any reason and without notice.
Failure to comply with these rules may result in being banned from submitting further comments.
These terms and conditions are subject to change at any time and without notice.