- RSS loading...
"Ice Hockey" (Famicom Disk System)
Alright, can we just admit that I'm terrible at sports games like hockey and football? I prefer watching them on TV, but I can never get a grasp at being good playing these games. Perhaps it's because I'm more of a basketball guy, but still, getting to know the sport is knowing how to play them on your favorite video gaming system(s).
Another Famicom Disk game developed in English, this Ice Hockey title is presented in an Olympics-like gameplay, requiring you to choose your teams via world countries. Being that I was born, raised and currently live in the United States, it was natural for me to choose the US. We went against Canada and....let's just say my button mashing only did so much.
Yeah, I'm brave enough to show how awful I am.
The action is quite fun and during the intermission, the game even shows the ice crew re-surfacing the ice! I don't know, I thought that was pretty cool. The controls are responsive, but at times can delay depending on the console processing the high-intensity of the game. The music isn't much, just a "filler" to keep you focused on the game without being too annoying, although it sounds like music from a Game Boy game. There is an option for two players, so you can play along with someone else for a nice, fun weekend time together. The graphics and the fluid motion of the game are superb. Another game that showcases the beauty of 8-bit goodness. Each quarter is 7 minutes long.
I suppose that if you defeat all your opponents, you get a cut scene of the trophy presentation. Being that I was terrible at this game, and still am, I'm unlikely going to get to that part. (I should go out and actually play the sport, even if it means losing a tooth. Okay, maybe not.)
Just because I admit that I'm bad at this game doesn't mean it's awful. It's one of those 'black box' games from Nintendo's library that everyone ought to have in their video game collection. Check this game out! You'll likely play better than I did.
- Classic hockey game for the Famicom [Disk System].
- Controls are fluid.
- Fun challenge for a sports game.
- Olympics-style competition.
|Game Title||Ice Hockey|
|ISBN / Bar Code number||????|
|Video Format||1.33:1 (4:3) / Full Screen|
|Disk/Cartridge Count||One (1)|
|Developer||Nintendo, Nintendo Research & Development|
|Released||January 21, 1988 (JP)|
|Other Formats||Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo Wii|
MORE VIDEO GAMING REVIEWS
This policy contains information about your privacy. By posting, you are declaring that you understand this policy:
- Your name, rating, website address, town, country, state and comment will be publicly displayed if entered.
- Aside from the data entered into these form fields, other stored data about your comment will include:
- Your IP address (not displayed)
- The time/date of your submission (displayed)
- Your email address will not be shared. It is collected for only two reasons:
- Administrative purposes, should a need to contact you arise.
- To inform you of new comments, should you subscribe to receive notifications.
- A cookie may be set on your computer. This is used to remember your inputs. It will expire by itself.
This policy is subject to change at any time and without notice.
These terms and conditions contain rules about posting comments. By submitting a comment, you are declaring that you agree with these rules:
- Although the administrator will attempt to moderate comments, it is impossible for every comment to have been moderated at any given time.
- You acknowledge that all comments express the views and opinions of the original author and not those of the administrator.
- You agree not to post any material which is knowingly false, obscene, hateful, threatening, harassing or invasive of a person's privacy.
- The administrator has the right to edit, move or remove any comment for any reason and without notice.
Failure to comply with these rules may result in being banned from submitting further comments.
These terms and conditions are subject to change at any time and without notice.